4.18.2011

Symbiosis

I was just thinking at work today about this news story I heard on the Colbert Report a long while ago...

It was about this parasitic fish living of the New Jersey coast that EATS THE TONGUES OF A FISH AND PROCEEDS TO LIVE INSIDE THE FISH'S MOUTH... Taking its share of all the food the fish eats. Its scientific name is Cymothoa exigua, but I just call it: "HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Truly, one of the most disgusting and horrifying things I've ever heard. I will never EVER swim in the Atlantic Ocean again!



Ugh.......

Anyways, after some research, I've also found some amazing examples of Symbiosis, where two animals benefit from the actions of each other. The most incredible to me is the Toothpick Bird, shown here:



This small bird actually goes inside the mouth of the crocodile it's "buddying up to" and eats the morsels of food between the crocodile's teeth! So both animals benefit from this odd relationship.

Anyways, the reason I'm bringing this up is I believe these two different relationships in nature is a perfect reflection on how our thoughts and our expierences can help or hurt us. Too often have I found myself questioning the past, thinking "Why did I do that?" or "Wow, I can't believe how stupid I was back then!" I get into these phases alot, and I always feel miserable and it always brings me to this low, dark place. It eats at me until it lives inside me.

But that's not the only thing that our memories and expierences can do for us. I believe we can learn from our mistakes and learn to live with them and actually better us! Like remembering the first time we burned ourselves, we now know we shouldn't put our hand on a hot stove. We can always keep these things in the back of our minds and let them cleanse us and help us become better people.

Thank you, I love you all.

-Michael Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment