2.17.2011

My Book

So I wanted to take a couple seconds and announce, officially, that I'm writing a book. I've wanted to write a book ever since my mom first read me Charlotte's Web, and now I'm finally doing it! It's still in it's infancy, I'm still in the process of finding out who my main character is and how exactly to go about writing my book, but I'm loving it so far!

As far as writing style goes, I just finished an AMAZING book called The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (If you haven't read that book, PLEASE PLEASE do). Anyways, The Perks of Being a Wallflower was written as if the main character was writing letters to you, the reader, calling you friend and suggesting you are someone he trusts because "...she said you would listen and understand and didn't try and sleep with that person at that party even though you could have." I've found through my experiments that writing in this format is the easiest and most effective for me. It gives you a sense of purpose while at the same time creates an environment of pure voice and expression for me. I hope Mr. Chbosky doesn't mind me stealing his format ;)

The first letter is done, it just needs a couple tweaks here and there, but suffice it to say that the book is underway, and I couldn't be more excited about it. Thank you, I love you all

-Michael Howell

1 comment:

  1. mike that is awesome!! btw perks of being a wallflower is one of my favorite books. love it. i'm so excited to read it! and if you need any editing help i'm more than happy to critique :)
    oh dude you should have gone to my moms workshop a couple weeks ago! she talked about point of view and building a good story! theres a paper she gave out that you must have, it will help you create a plot line! :) remind me to give it to you next time i see you!
    if you want you should email me the first letter!
    i'm so excited to read it! :D

    ReplyDelete